My mom and I have always been close, and I feel very blessed to have that relationship in my life as an adult and a mother. One of my mom's best qualities is her thoughtfulness in doing sweet and special things for those she loves. She finds unique and touching ways to show she cares, and I still appreciate that as a grown up. This Mother's Day she gave me something so neat that is now hanging in Jake's room. She framed a picture I drew as a young kid of our lake house. Our family and extended family spent decades of memories there and I hope to give Jake plenty of those memories too. Sometimes we give my mom a hard time about saving too many things from when my sister and I were young (ahem play-doh?!), but this was a time when I was so glad she saved my artwork. She also saved numerous old toys of ours that Jake now plays with. Someday when my kids outgrow them, I will pass them on to my sister for her future children. My mom always stressed the importance of my sister and I being close and respecting and appreciating how we are different from one another. She encouraged our individuality while fostering our desire to embrace all the ways we could connect.
![]() |
| Birthday dinner |
Another special thing that comes to mind is how mom likes to plan all kinds of surprises-- from little things to big parties, she is a planner of all sorts of fun schemes that bring those around her joy. In October she pulled off a big 30th birthday surprise for me, when I thought I was just showing up for my Dad's 60th. When she decorated a nursery at their house for Jake, she had an artist stencil on the wall the lyrics of one of my favorite lullabies, "I See the Moon". When my sister and I graduated from high school, mom spent months making each of us videos of our first 18 years of life. These hour long slide shows have pictures of family and friends and music that is so meaningful, and they remain one of the neatest gifts she has ever given. Mom is a good encourager and has always done a good job with notes and cards that cheer you up, remind you that you're loved, show you she's proud, or challenge you not to give up. She is also the BEST trip planner! Thanks to my mom, our family has enjoyed spectacular vacations every year since my sister and I were young. We've been to such amazing places and done so many cool things because of her time and effort in researching the neatest things to do and places to go. She helped me plan Michael's and my babymoon to Scottsdale, and I will always seek her assistance in trip planning in the future because knows how to find the best of the best get-a-ways at great rates.
| me & Mom |
My mom is also good at taking the time look into things. When I needed relief from aches and pains during my pregnancy with Jake, she found a doctor who helped me through prenatal massage and chiropractic treatment. When I needed a swim teacher for Jake, she found one. When I was looking for a good counselor, she referred my to one of the most helpful people I've ever encountered. While I'm remodeling my bathroom, she buys me magazines and sends me pictures and shares the things she has learned over the years from doing remodels with my dad in their homes. I am also thankful that my mom got me involved in a variety of activities when I was young, such a sports, art and music, and then as I grew up, she allowed me to choose which ones I wanted to stick with. I played piano and did ballet and jazz and performing arts and painting classes, along with soccer and basketball and volleyball and track...some parents make their kids do certain things for certain reasons, but my parents were always supportive of my choices in extracurricular things, and it helped me figure out who I wanted to be. Something else my mom has always pounded into us is "Count your blessings". My parents adopt a family at Christmas to give presents to each year, and it has instilled in me a strong sense of wanting to give back to those less fortunate as well. I will never forget one Christmas morning my mom and I went to an ER to bring little gifts from the church to everyone on call that day, and although it was a little gesture, it brought a lot of emotion out just to touch the staff and bring them some joy at work on a holiday when most are home with their families.
Having Jake has made me appreciate my mom even more, and has allowed us to share a new type of connection. And it's so special to see her with my child and watch the bond they have. I feel very fortunate to live just minutes from my parents, which means they are involved in our life on a weekly basis. Jake is always thrilled to go to "Lovey & Granddad's house". I think she nearly has something new to give him every week, even if its the littlest thing, she's always thinking of Jake. Right now, Jake thinks that the only reason my parent's go on vacation is to bring him back new toys, ha!
![]() |
| Lovey & Jakey |
I remember when I got pregnant and my parents were deciding what they wanted to be called by their grandchildren. All of our friends and family were convinced that my mom should go by "Lovey", but she was not keen on the name at first. After months of thinking it over, I finally asked her one day to just imagine her grandson saying "Lovey" in a sweet little voice, and that seemed to do the trick! When Jake first started to try and say things, he affectionately called my mom "yuh". Then it became "wuvey", and now he can actually say "Lovey"! And I have to say that no other name would have suited my mom as well. Those two are so cute and silly together. Jake is always learning something new whenever he's with her, and she is very a hands on and engaged grandparent. Recently Michael and I went on our very first vacation alone and left Jake with my parents. As any first time parent can attest to, this is both a joyful and emotionally challenging thing to do! But it ended up being harder for Michael and I than for Jake, as he would barely even speak to us on the phone when we called to check in because he was too busy having fun! My mom went to great lengths to help me feel at ease while away, and for that I will always be extremely grateful. Jake ended up getting sick while we were gone, and I knew he was in the best hands being pampered by my mom and dad. My mom actually cried the day we got home and picked up Jake because she didn't want him to leave (and we just live a few minutes away)! I'm spoiled to have a built in babysitter basically on call anytime-- my mom even will rearrange her schedule at times or cancel things in order to help me out, which I seriously appreciate.
![]() |
| Easter pic |
My mom loves gardening and has some of the prettiest flower beds you'll find. She also enjoys traveling, reading and yoga. One of her favorite past times is riding horses like the one she grew up with, and she still rides on occasion these days if the chance presents itself. She loves quilts and antique shopping and we always enjoy going to Roundtop every year. She's a good fisher too, loves to catch Catfish or Bass and she can't wait to do that with Jakey. You'll win her over with Bellinis from Carraba's (she's only allowed to have two!) or scoops of Baskin Robbins' Daquiri Ice and Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. She loves a Corona Light with lime and good timing country music. And relaxing spa days at the Houstonian or Lake Austin Spa are always a luxurious treat with mom.
Mom: thank you for everything you bring to my life and our family's life. Thank you for all the times you've sacrificed and put us first, and for all your thoughtfulness and support over the years. Thank you for the laughter and life lessons and memories that we hold dear. Thank you for teaching me and guiding me, even when I was resistant to it. Thank you for letting me makes mistakes and helping me to learn and grow from them rather than beat myself up for too long. Thank you for demonstrating the importance of family and dedication in marriage. Thank you for being such a wonderfully fun-loving grandparent; in about 7 weeks you'll have another grand baby to dote on! Thank you mom for being you; I love you very much and am so thankful for you on Mother's day and always!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment