Kriens

Kriens

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

THERE ARE three guys in my life; my husband, my son and my Dad. Today is a day to celebrate fathers, and I feel immeasurably blessed to have the Dad that I do and for the one that Michael is to Jake! Happy Father's Day to Mike Love and Michael Settle, I love you both very much!


Michael & Dad, Wrigley Field

Michael & Dad in Montana

MY DAD...Growing up, I always felt really fortunate to be just as close to my dad as my mom. Dad was very engaged with my sister and me in all that we did. He helped me with school work and attended all my extra curricular activities, memorably cheering me on at my games with his loud booming voice. We did things together, such as shoot hoops, and hang Christmas lights, or clean the garage, which surprisingly, I enjoyed! He used to let me sit in his lap and drive up the street to the video rental store, which was like the greatest thing ever. I know his smell, a mixture of Old Spice and grass from playing golf. He would bring Ash and me to the driving range while he hit balls and we would gather all the extra tees laying around. He likes his coffee really hot and black, especially if it comes from the gas station by his house. By his chair in the den, Dad always has a jumbo size box of Twizzlers to munch on. He also loves Laffy Taffy and Neccos. He drinks chocolate milk with a spoon, made with regular milk and Hershey's syrup, which we always tease him about. Hearing his laughter, which sometimes turns into a familiar cackle, is a sound I love to hear in the next room, most likely because he's watching some slap stick goofy comedy. He religiously records and watches Bill O'Reilly every night, and will even call my sister and me if he thinks that evening's topic is particularly worthwhile. He has a list of go-to phrases that those closest to him know all too well, probably the most notorious being "Now that's just stupid" in his subtle Texas drawl. I grew up listening to good timing music in his car whenever he took me anywhere- the Beach Boys, Allman Brothers, Beatles, Willie Nelson, lots of soft rock, old country, and the good stuff from the 60s and 70s. I've watched him be the most incredible, helpful friend and family member to so many. He takes care of those around him with pride and assurance. He has been the most phenomenal rock in my life and there is no one I respect or admire more for their hard earned accomplishments and character. He has been irreplaceable in my life in the countless words of wisdom, advice, and encouragement he has instilled. He's taught me the importance of working hard and being a good person. My Dad is loving, supportive, strong, extremely hardworking, loyal, dedicated, generous and fun. He's also a super fun and loving granddad to Jacob Knox, his name sake. Dad and his dad have Knox as their middle name, and it was a super special moment the day Jake was born to surprise my Dad and tell him Jake would share it too, in honor of him. They have so much fun together, playing ball, wrestling and watching TV in granddad's chair. Eating popsicles and walking Bear are also among the favorites. They love to ride the carousel and train at the mall, usually getting an ice cream along the way. Jake excitedly "drives" in the driveway while sitting in my Dad's lap, just the way I used to do, usually blaring the horn with a grin on his face. Experiencing the joy and pride my Dad has with Jake is one of the most precious things to me, and I know they will always have a strong and loving bond, just like Dad and me do. I could not ask for a more amazing father, and I've told him numerous times that words really can't express my respect or appreciation for who he is to me and all that he has done and continues to do. But that doesn't mean I will stop saying things to make sure he never forgets how loved he is. I hope I do as great of a job with Jake as my mom and dad did with me. I love you Dad, thank you for being the best father anyone could ask for!!


Dad & me in Chicago

Dad being silly with my baby bump

Jacob Knox & Granddad


Jake's 1st Halloween


MY HUSBAND...Two years and almost five months ago, Michael became a Dad to our precious son, Jake. I will never forget the day we found out we were having a boy, it was full of indescribable joy and excitement. Pretty much the only thing I recall about my terrible c-section was Michael exclaiming to me, "He's here babe, he's here!" I always imagined Michael being a great father, but when it actually happens, it changes your marriage in the most special way once you share the bond of parenting. Jake idolizes his Daddy, there is no question. He wants to do everything Michael does, down to what he wears and how he swings a baseball bat. Jake screams with glee louder and happier than any other time when his Dad gets home from work. Michael doesn't even get a chance to change clothes or take a breath when he gets home because Jake meets him at the door, begging for his coveted Daddy play time in the evening! I think Michael's biggest strengths as a Dad are his patience and his playfulness. He can distract Jake and help him to let something roll of his back in the most natural way. Michael doesn't take life too seriously, which has always been one of my favorite things about him, and he is lovingly teaching Jake to see the world the same way. He's an excellent cook and Jake and I are lucky to eat his yummy dishes that he usually just makes up as he goes from things he's learned on the cooking channel! There are times when Jake will give me a look or make a face that is exactly like ones his Dad makes, and it reminds me how much of us is in our kids. Michael is a really involved with everything Jake does, and his engagement as a Dad is such a blessing. Bath time is their time each night, and its usually full of squeals and giggles. Michael is the baseball coach at St Francis, and every game Jake and I attended showed spectators just how much this child loves his Dad. Jake would yell consistently through the fence throughout the entire game "Dad, Daddy, hi Daddy!", exchanging high fives and kisses in between innings. They have a special playlist of songs they listen to in Michael's truck, which is Jake's favorite place to ride. Seeing Jake jam to Justin Beiber never gets old! This year Michael started what he wants to make a family tradition-- playing a bit of baseball with Jake after church on Easter. I have precious pics of Jakey on the field with his Daddy, probably where he is happier than anywhere else. Michael calls and texts throughout each day while he's at work, checking to see what Jake is up to and how the day has been. He is very encouraging, creative, and affectionate with Jake. He knows how to set limits without being a dictator and he's not afraid to give due discipline with a constructive message. When Jake was hospitalized and had his three surgeries, Michael stayed every single night at the hospital with me, and took off work to be there during the day as well. He is undoubtedly dedicated to Jake and understands the importance of a Dad's role in his son's life. He makes it clear that there's no where else he'd rather be than with Jake and me. As a teacher and coach, Michael is exposed to many sad situations between parents and kids, and I think that has only made him more motivated and committed to being the best Dad he can be. Some of the best conversations we've ever had were about Jake and how much we love him and how lucky we feel to be his parents. Watching Jake with Michael, you can't miss the undeniable connection they have, its heartwarming. They are inseparable, so strongly bound together at the heart. Being parents has strengthened our relationship in many ways. I am more in love with Michael because of who he is as a father and how he loves our son. As a Dad, he is thoughtful and kind, silly and energetic. He's rough and tough, a teaser and a teacher of so many things to Jake, most importantly, unconditional love. We are the ones who know Jake better than anyone else, which is a special privilege only we share. MICHAEL, I am so thankful for the amazing Dad you are to Jake, he is so blessed to have you. I cherish being mom and dad with you. Thank you for being such a dedicated Daddy, I love you!

Prego with Jacob Knox

JK & Michael resting in hospital after he was born

Swimming with Daddy

Kisses for Daddy in the dugout

Our family



No comments:

Post a Comment