This post is a pretty long-time coming, but this weekend's events have finally prompted my first-ever blog post!
I have been told that I use smiley faces excessively when emailing, so in hopes of holding on to at least an ounce of manliness, I will fight the urge with all my might to use any.
First, let me give a BIG thank you! ...to Briana, for starting this blog that the three of us can have forever, and for telling our tales so well.
Second, let me give another BIG thank you! ...to Jake, for melting our hearts every single day. Starting first thing in the morning... When he wakes his daddy up with his 'game shirt' and 'baseball shoes' in hand, insisting that they be put on immediately. Either that, or with a pretty firm right hook to the face.
This past Saturday we played two games in Embrach, Switzerland. This seemed to be an easy 20-25 minute drive in the nice comfortable jeep that I was able to hitch a ride in with President Hirtz.
Briana and I had discussed Jake and her coming to these games the day before, but we had left it as a 'we'll see' kind of thing. I pulled up google maps and had the directions waiting for her on the computer screen when she woke up in the morning. The public transportation route that she and Jake would be taking was about a 55 minute trek according to google.
I have been told that I use smiley faces excessively when emailing, so in hopes of holding on to at least an ounce of manliness, I will fight the urge with all my might to use any.
First, let me give a BIG thank you! ...to Briana, for starting this blog that the three of us can have forever, and for telling our tales so well.
Second, let me give another BIG thank you! ...to Jake, for melting our hearts every single day. Starting first thing in the morning... When he wakes his daddy up with his 'game shirt' and 'baseball shoes' in hand, insisting that they be put on immediately. Either that, or with a pretty firm right hook to the face.
This past Saturday we played two games in Embrach, Switzerland. This seemed to be an easy 20-25 minute drive in the nice comfortable jeep that I was able to hitch a ride in with President Hirtz.
Briana and I had discussed Jake and her coming to these games the day before, but we had left it as a 'we'll see' kind of thing. I pulled up google maps and had the directions waiting for her on the computer screen when she woke up in the morning. The public transportation route that she and Jake would be taking was about a 55 minute trek according to google.
Possibly what the blondies looked like at the starting line of this journey, smiles still in tact!
Having completed game one (losing narrowly, 5-6), and having played half of game two, I had long since assumed that they were definitely not coming. Honestly, from the beginning of the discussions, I did not think there was much chance of them coming to these games. 55 minutes of commute, with transfers from walking, to tram, to train, to bus, to bus, to walking (with a 2 year old sweetheart/monster) did not seem like a great idea from the start.
But as I said, it was halfway through game two... When I saw all that blonde hair strolling down the sidewalk towards our dugout. It had been an intense game up to that point, just as the entire first game was.Their arrival was right on time to see the Barracudas go from being down 1-2, to taking the lead 4-2. Our first lead since the first half of the first inning of the first game. We were able to hold on to this lead, and we won the game 4-3 in the end.
The Barracudas are currently in a pretty tight playoff race, battling for the final spot to make it to the postseason. This win was HUGE, and the entire Barracudas Club (from the President to the 2 year old 'mascot', and every player/coach/fan in between) is to thank for this victory! It seemed that we had representatives from pretty much every level of our club playing/coaching/cheering out in the hills of Embrach. Hills that do not come to a halt for this baseball field by the way, let's just say this surface has some serious character. So I love it!
An example of a field with "character". This is actually one week earlier in Sissach, Switzerland.
Anyway, it turns out that the google maps' directions were incorrect.
(smiley face avoided here)
So Briana and Jake's loooooong journey was nothing short of an adventure and frustrating period of time.
I promise Google maps has never led me astray!!! But now I will always question it, especially if it involves multiple types of transportation.
So, the two of them endured blistering winds and scorching desert...(Insert picture of Prince Jake's golden locks blowing in the wind) ...they passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then they walked through one of the many fantastic Swiss tunnels.
"Mommy, Mommy... I think we took a wrong turn at the bush that looks like Shirley Bassey!"
But they made it. :-). (oops! Sorry.. Had to.)
A long and super-exhausting day for all... was sooooooo perfect!
I cannot thank Briana enough for taking on this journey, even if it was just for half of a baseball game. (the best part of course) I am forever grateful that they made it to the park that day. I will forever remember the emotion that I felt when I shockingly saw them there.
To hear the words "My Daddy!" said so proudly and repeatedly (as Jake does at the games) produces an emotion that words cannot describe. I am quite sure that all parents, at some point, and in many different arenas/situations, get to experience their children being truly proud of them.
I always knew that having Jake around this kind of atmosphere, and getting to experience it together, was something that would be amazing... and it was something that I wished could happen. I would have never guessed just how powerful and amazing it would actually be.
To hear the words "My Daddy!" said so proudly and repeatedly (as Jake does at the games) produces an emotion that words cannot describe. I am quite sure that all parents, at some point, and in many different arenas/situations, get to experience their children being truly proud of them.
"My turn!" - Jake cherishes his time on-field after the Barracudas' games. But the game does not end at the field, because the inside bat and ball are always waiting back at the house. Mommy and Daddy would of course love to chill-out on the couch at this point... But in Jake's own words... "No way!"
I always knew that having Jake around this kind of atmosphere, and getting to experience it together, was something that would be amazing... and it was something that I wished could happen. I would have never guessed just how powerful and amazing it would actually be.
So again, I must thank Briana for being here this summer. Thank you for the strength and endurance you have put forth to keep this whole thing going.
I am so very proud of our family, and I can't wait to keep the memories and experiences coming!



Sweet post Michael! :-)
ReplyDeleteMichael Your post was hilarious and so sweet. I laughed through most of it, bc I could just see My sweet Briana making that journey with Jake and then listening to you tell your story! Looking forward to seeing the pictures that you will post!! Love, Susan
ReplyDelete